Thursday, January 21, 2010

{Styling Challenge}

{outtakes}
{final shot}
The awesome Holly started a new Flickr group for interior styling shots, and at first, even though I thought it sounded like a lot of fun, I just didn't think I had time to shoot more one thing. But the challenge she poses to the group every month sounded like the perfect opportunity for me to work on my styling. Do you have as much trouble as I do coming up with stylish merchandising shots? You'd think a photographer wouldn't have this trouble, but I find it so hard.

Here are Holly's instructions for the January challenge. They seemed so limiting, but the truth is, once I got going, I realized that I really needed those guidelines to get an arrangement that was pleasing and balanced. That sure says something, since I normally don't like following rules! =)


Favorite things:
Owl from Rabbitsmoon on Etsy.

Houseplants and found pine cones are always a personal fave.

Snowdrop perfume found here.

And a gorgeous smelling winter candle from Anthropologie, a present from my mother-in-law.


p.s. There's still plenty of time to join the group and take part in the January challenge. Especially if you like decorating or if you need a photography project to get you through the winter. See you there!

2 comments:

Moa said...

I LOOOVE the owl, so cute!! I was just wondering if the candle was from Anthropologie when I saw it. When we were in London they had the cutest thing ever, which was a candle sort of like that but with a "cap" that you could take off... I loved it but we didn't really have room for more things plus they were kind of pricy. But so so adorable...

Oh, and a lovely little arrangement too! :)

shanon said...

Oh, the owl, every time I look at Rabbitsmoon on Etsy I want to buy another one. =) I saw that candle, Moa! I agree, they were pricey. It was so nice to get one as a gift.