1. 309: 12.6.07, 2. Untitled, 3. nanook 2, 4. setting up christmas, 5. peace, 6. UntitledHere are some images that have been inspiring me to get in the winter/holiday mood. I thought I better hurry up and post it because snow is coming and because I'm already seeing that awesome reindeer shot everywhere. ; )
Can I tell you something? Remember back in October when I wanted to start decorating for Christmas? And then remember a week ago when I said I was stalling. (It's okay, I don't expect you to remember. hehe) Well, I think I figured out what my problem is...
It just feels like it's been such a rough year for everyone. A year where we've just barely squeaked by. Jobs are lost left and right. Those in dire need are suffering even more because the average person's means to help are dwindling. Then I read this story about a church selling their original Tiffany stained glass window so that it could keep it's shelter open.
I just don't feel like hauling out all the crystal and shiny ornaments. I don't feel like heaping on the decor and extras. I just want my simple tree, standing in the corner, lit by only tiny white lights. It gives me room to breath and reflect. To see what is really important. To have space to think and hopefully be reminded to give to others more than myself.
I'm so lucky to have a house. A house with boxes full of ornaments in the basement at that! I'm sure I'll drag them out next year. But this year they can sit quietly tucked away because I need the space to think and I think that's all right.
12 comments:
I think you're so right Shanon. All the commerce of Christmas feels so unneccessary and hysteric - and very much against what Christmas is all about. This year we've decided not to trade Christmas gifts with all the usual people. Buying gifts for lots of people is so stressful and I really don't like it when everybody tears their presents open all at once and no one remeber what they got from who. I think it's so much more valuable to spend time together and relax and enjoy the Christmas peace...
Still, I'm very excited about a big bunchy christmas gift for me that Martin tried his best to wrap nicely :)
I'm glad you understand Moa. =)
And I didn't write it in my post, but I think another reason that it's better for me this year not go crazy with our decorations is because I need a dose of reality. If I had all the usual lavish stuff out, I think I might trick myself into thinking that it would be okay to splurge on anything and everything. I'm clearly very easily swayed by my environment! haha
well said!
christmas is a great time of year but it can also can be overwhelming and blind us from what it truly represents. thanks for the reminder!
ps. i love that deer photo :)
I like what you said. In hard times, it's good to return to simple things.
So well said Shanon! And inspiring! The most special holidays for me have been the simplest...
Shannon i couldn't have agree more...year end holiday season can be overwhelming! I adore your idea of having it simple! Wishing you a lovely merry peaceful day and love to yoU!
Thank you ladies! I'm so glad you understand what I was trying to convey. I don't want this post to be mistaken for a Debbie-Downer one. Just an honest look, from my perspective, at this moment in time. xoxo
i love your etsy shop!
I agree with your sentiments, my husband and i decided that we weren't going to give bright + shiny big toys to our nephews and nieces, we're going to make them stockings and fill them up with homemade gifts like finger puppets, felt ipod holders, barrettes, and all little cute things..
I couldn't agree more, I really don't care for the pressure of gift giving at all. I love making something or finding the perfect gift for someone, but not feeling like we are required to exchange gifts.
What I really enjoy is the dinner together, playing games and hanging out with friends and family that we don't get to see very often. Thanks for reminding us about what is important this season!
Taking the little man back to New Zealand so that he can hang out with his family is all that matters this Christmas.
Well... that, and a crapload of New Zealand wine disappearing down my throat over the course of the fortnight :)
Such a sweet, honest post, Shanon. Thank you for sharing, and for reminding us that Christmas isn't about the material things. Enjoying time with family and friends, or even a quiet moment with yourself, and reflecting on the year past and the year ahead are all we really need to make the season bright.
xoxo,
Kitty
and PS: Your simple tree, sitting in the corner with tiny white lights, sounds so peaceful and perfect. I hope to see pictures of it soon!! ;o)
Shanon I can so relate to this. I didn't realize that was what I was feeling until you put it into words. There is a quiet comfort in the tree right in the corner- like that is enough and it is plenty. Thank you for this post.
Post a Comment