Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Anniversary Giveaway!

I joined Etsy two years ago this Saturday. October 24th, 2007. It probably took me a year to narrow down what it was I wanted to fill my shop with! I initially thought it would be my watercolors. Did you know that I paint? That was a whole other lifetime ago. =) Then I was working on digital illustrations... I mean, I DID go to school for that sort of thing. ; )

BUT when it came down to it, I knew I was a photographer at heart. When you can spend all day shooting and processing photos and wish the day was longer so you wouldn't have to stop, when you want to pull over every 1/2 mile while you are on a weekend drive because perfect shots are whizzing by, when the best job you ever had was editing photos for a daily newspaper well after midnight, and you grew up arranging your Strawberry Shortcake dolls just so you could photograph them... Well, then I think, if you are me, you'd say you were meant to be a photographer.

That, in a nutshell is how I came to my Etsy shop. And maybe I'm sharing the unorganized, behind-the-scenes process with you because sometimes we don't have a clear idea of what we should be doing at first. But dabbling in lots of creative endevours doesn't mean that we are flighty, or that what we decide to do is less authentic because we tried other things first. It just means that we are open to experimenting. And whatever form experimenting takes, I just know that it has a postive effect on what ever it is that comes after. Even if what comes after is what we kinda sorta knew we should be doing all along.


So, to celebrate this anniversary I want to give away any print in the shop. ANY print! As long as it's in the shop it's free game. That's pretty simple, right? If you'd like to share a story about your path, the experimenting that you did along the way that led you to what you are doing now, or something you did when you were growing up that hinted at what you'd do when you were older, that would be awesome. Of course, on the flip side, all you have to do is say "hi" in the comments and you'll be entered into the giveaway too. I'm not picky.

Happy Anniversary!
=)

P.S. I will also draw a runner-up that will receive their choice of a set of flatnotes. Cause seriously, two giveaways is better than one I say.

(Rules: 1 comment per person. Giveaway runs until midnight CST 10/24/09. I will draw one winner and that person can pick any item from my shop. The winner will be announced the week of 10/26/09 and will be responsible for emailing me their mailing address and what they would like from the shop.)

12 comments:

Hannita said...

Happy Anniversary! Your prints are gorgeous. I'm very slowly getting into the photography thing.

I'm in academia. I've from a family of educators and I loved the people that gave me support and guidance in college. Hopefully I'm that person to some of the students where I work.

City Chic Country Mouse said...

Wow, 2 years! I love how you explained your path. I feel like I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up because I can do it 24/7 (if I didn't have to sleep!) and never grow tired of it :)

I went to school for Wildlife Biology (which I loved!) but wanted a steady job so I stayed at the U of M and finished my Master's in Human Resources. Although it seemed like the practical thing to do, this is not my passion. After finishing school I finally had more free time to be creative and I guess the rest is history (well, in a nutshell!)

So if I am lucky enough to win I'd pick your Pine Cone photo because it's perfect for this time of year. Happy Anniversary!

Sam said...

You know of course that I would love to win one of your prints ;)

I rejected the idea that I was an artist for a long time, doing only small projects around my own home or for the holidays. Then a couple of years ago, I read an article about a block print artist and started playing with the medium. It was instant love for me. I've always loved to peel paint, labels off of jars, and carving prints has that same appeal, but with a prettier outcome.

Happy Anniversary!

Hello Lindello said...

Yipeeee! Congratulations and bravo for your anniversary!

I started on Etsy because of my love for vintage. I didnt want my house to fill up with stuff, so I thought it would be a good idea to sell the treaures I came across. I'm so glad I did!

Lori said...

Hi Shannon- Wow I am shocked and thrilled to hear your story. Your photography is so intensely beautiful that I assumed you had been doing it professionally for as long as possible. You clearly are a photographer at heart. That makes me love your work even more.

I am educated as a teacher and counselor and it wasn't until I was about 30 that I started doing art again. Right around the time the teaching wasn't feeling like a good fit anymore.

Thanks for sharing your story :)

Maria said...

I get that! I've tried lots of different creative endeavors. Some have stuck, some have gone away forever, and others go into hiding for a while and then come back. Now I do what I want, when I want to!

Your photography is gorgeous. You have a unique perspective and I like it!

jacqueline said...

Yipee and hooray! Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! It's inspirational just like your work. :)

I have a programming background (ick sounds so boring huh)...but i have always been interested in creating and sewing ever since my nanny took care of me when i was a little girl...she taught me emboidery and little sewing projects. Thus, from there on i started making little gifts for my family, friends, my little dolls, my room and myself. Only last year in October that i took the plunged and paved my little creative path with all of you, lovely creative souls out there. :) Even though i am not living it yet but im sure loving it lots. :)

Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Nicole said...

I love your photos. And congrats on your two-year Etsy anniversary!

leslie said...

I love your story!
Mine is so long but lets just say there was time spent designing "fast and the furious" type car accessories -yes, lots of flames and skulls, before I found my way back to flowers :)
congrats on your anniversary honey!

Unknown said...

Congratulations !!!!
I sooooo love your work !! I have your buttons wallpaper on my mac for ages ;-)
I cross my fingers ^-^
Smooch

Rock Star Librarian said...

Hi!

I have no idea how I became a librarian but I'm darn happy I did.

Kathryn said...

Coming to this post a bit late...but had to comment since your words rang bells with me regarding findin direction and it's ok to play around a bit with what you want to specialise in. Thanks for the insights hun, I'm hoping one day I'll be as sorted as you are now with your etsy xx