Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Familiar


Do you ever come across a photograph of a room, a room that is a thousand miles away, and it comforts you like a warm blanket? You've never been in the room, but it takes you immediately back to a room you HAVE been in? A room from your past, with happy memories, images that can immediately bubble to the surface because they are apart of you?

These photographs come from Belgium, from architect and designer Ta Yang, and they remind me so much of the farmhouse I grew up in. I haven't seen those rooms for 17 years, but I can almost smell them, feel them, be surrounded by them when I look at the top one, whose yellow and mint and windows remind me of our dining room. And the blue walls of the bottom one are identical to my parents bedroom. I can remember taking naps in there in the summer. I can almost hear the wind in the trees outside right now.

Seeing these today takes me back and takes me home. Is there a photograph that is important to you? Not because you are personally familiar with the scene but because it connects you to something important in your past? Please share a link to it, I'd love to see it and hear the story.

(images property of Ya Tang)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

tnx for sharing I adore the 2nd room!!

Darrah said...

I'm glad you posted on this topic. I think it's always good design when you can make a complete strange feel 100% at home and comfortable.

shanon said...

Isn't it so peaceful, Carlotta? =)

That is so true, Darrah. I don't know how it's done, but it's magic when it happens. =)

Kathryn said...

What s beautiful post. I know exactly what you mean shanon, there are many pics on flickr that go into my fav's as for one reason or another thy evoke a memory place or feeling. Thanks for the comment to me you left on Natasha/Etoile's blog She left on a Monday about the print. I was over the moon to win it : ) wishes2u Hun, kat x