Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What's been growing...

I thought I'd share with you what's been growing in my garden so far this summer. I mean, GARDEN is in my name here, and I hardly ever actually mention what's been going on in my real garden!

Maybe someday I will show you the sketches of my yard and the before and after photos of the beds we put in, but for now I'll show you some snapshots of some of the showstoppers. And let me tell you, never underestimate the power of compost. It's cheap and the rewards are insane.


Left to Right, Top to Bottom:

I planted 31 Geranium plants this Spring. I waited until Home Depot had them nearly out in the parking lot, practically giving them away. They were crazy cheap, but didn't look happy. Don't let this discourage you. Just pick off the crunchy leaves and water the heck out of them. They look awesome now and are well on their way to quadrupling their size, just like last year's did. Reminds me, I should go out and deadhead them.


Pink Double Delight Echinacea is one of my new faves. I bought 2 plants last year, at the end of the season when they were 75% off. They were barely a foot tall and the few blooms were on their way out. I planted them in a mix of top soil and compost, almost 50/50 and this year they are so insane that I will need to divide them next Spring.


I planted Jethro Tull Coreopsis last Summer and I loved them, but I didn't mulch them good in the Fall, and they didn't survive the Winter. I don't think that variety was hardy enough for my zone to begin with, because this year I couldn't find them anywhere. I've planted a different kind, whose name I can't remember, because coreopsis's bloom time is long (just keep deadheading) and their color is so happy.
Maybe this variety will survive for next year?

Clematis. *sigh* So lovely! I wish I would have put in the traditional Jackmanii, because their blooms are bigger than the delicate Etoile Violette
that I have, but this was only their 2nd year here and the plant quickly grew to the roof of the garage. I'm excited to see what it does next year. The variety I have needs to be hard pruned to the ground in the Spring, which scared me, but viola, it took off!

Black Nigra
Hollyhocks are my faves. I love love love 'em. Hollyhocks bloom every other year, so last year I put in 1 plant that was in it's 2nd year, and 2 plants that were in their 1st. I'm hoping to line the whole side of my house with them. The ones that are blooming this year are over 6 feet tall. I love looking out my bedroom window and seeing them. I also have white ones, light pink ones, and magenta ones, all of which I started by seed. They vary widely in height however, and I'm not sure why.

Last Fall I put in some Strawberry Sensation Yarrow and it flopped over and promptly did nothing. I was worried I put it in too late and wasted my money. But the thing I learned is to not give up on things so quickly. This year they are huge and gorgeous. They do get a little floppy, but I've braced them up. Next year I'll be better prepared and have them grow right up into a cage.


Well, that's a tiny bit of what's been growing here. I should have shown you the irises I had a few months ago. Don't you just love irises? Maybe I'll pull out those shots this Winter when we are aching for flowers and warm weather.

(FYI, the links do not represent where I purchases my plants. They are just for additional information. And remember to check if plants will grow in your particular zone, before investing your time and money. But you knew that already.)

4 comments:

Lori Andrews said...

beautiful!

City Chic Country Mouse said...

I'm so jealous of your flowers! They are gorgeous! I must entice you to come help me with my yard. It is screaming for help! I have a composter, but haven't used anything from it yet. But I'll have to give it a try.

Maria said...

Wow! I'm really impressed!

{The Perfect Palette} said...

very impressive garden!