A little over a month ago I shared with you what's been growing around here, and I thought it was time for another update. I PROMISE to not be so darn wordy this time. I just get carried away when I talk about flowers. It's a good thing I have infected my husband with an interest in the garden, or the poor guy would be walking around with earmuffs on all summer!So here's the quick rundown:
*The dahlias are blooming, and it's a good thing, they are the hubs favorite. He insisted that we have some because last year's bloomed and bloomed and he was so impressed. I planted Le Barons this year. The photo on the package showed them to be a deep red, but they are purple! Awwh well. =)
*It was the first time I ever planted cosmos, and I went a bit nuts. I wasn't sure if they'd grow, so I dumped several packages of seeds in the flower bed. haha! I can probably take it easier in the future, but I really am enjoying the Bright Lights mix I planted. There is a never ending show of yellow and orange beauties.
*My Russian Sage has been a power house this summer, but the super hard rain we had over the weekend has sort of flattened it out a bit. But I just love the smell when you walk by or run your hands through it. I could do a whole field of it. In fact, I want to line the whole walkway with it, but I'm afraid it will flop over too much and there'd be no place to actually "walk." ; )
*Zinnias are just the best for longevity and they get better and better as they fill out. They are so tough and pretty at the same time. I might devote a whole bed to them next year. Among the different types I planted were a 3 foot variety called Peppermint Stick, which are not only white and red striped, but also yellow and red, orange and red, and pink and red.
*I had to include a shot of our red geraniums. The petals are like velvet and the are just getting HUGE. They were an impulse purchase, but I think I'll have to keep my eye out for these every year. I can't remember their exact name, but they are the really deep red, with huge blooms, not the orangey red that you see a lot of.
*And hip-hip-hooray! The oriental lilies are blooming! They smell amazing and they are such scene stealers. Poor things are kinda hidden behind the yarrow and some cosmos this year. The bed was expanded last fall and I forgot to move them to the front. They are tempting me something bad to cut and bring them inside, let me tell you! ; )
2 comments:
Gorgeous!!! You are growing all of my favorites. :)
What a lovely display dahlia's are my dad's favourites too, I like the colorfulness of them all kat x :)
Post a Comment